Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

SWG2?

Discussions pertaining to the creature handler profession
martyk
Expert Kashyyyk Biologist

SWG2?

Postby martyk » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:31 pm

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I heard rumors that there's a SWG2 in production, a pre-CU one. If this is being made then that will mean that CH will be back (yay).

So far I haven't been able to find anything on it. Anyone else heard of this?
SHAZAM!
Juntao
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Juntao » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Well, this is total rumor and I really have no idea of the validity, but there have been rumblings that Bioware is doing *SOMETHING* oriented around a Star Wars MMO. Those rumblings also indicate that things are very very early and even if anything does ever come to fruition, it would be YEARS before there is anything to show.

I am thinking Lucas finally got tired of Sony's complete mishandling of the Star Wars license and has given Bioware the green on something... As to exactly what, I don't know...
Juntao Ta'kor
Master Creature Handler
Ahazi Galaxy
martyk

Postby martyk » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:06 pm

Hmm, a few years you say? I can wait. Anyway, if it is Bioware doing it, then it will definetly be awsome. Just look a BF2.
SHAZAM!
KetuSringa

Postby KetuSringa » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:53 pm

I think the general consensus on this rumor was that it was best to wait and see what E3 brings in the way of announcements from Bioware.

BTW, did Bioware have something to do with BF2? I thought they did KOTOR, BF was a LucasArts thing... however, I've never played BF* so I don't know.

I personally think the preCU emulator projects are the best hope for seeing CH again as we knew and loved it, or at least within reasonable tolerances. Even if there is an SWG2, I rather doubt it'd be anything like pre-CU - it'd likely be a completely new vision.

Ketu Sringa
martyk

Re:

Postby martyk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:46 pm

[quote="KetuSringa"]I think the general consensus on this rumor was that it was best to wait and see what E3 brings in the way of announcements from Bioware.

BTW, did Bioware have something to do with BF2? I thought they did KOTOR, BF was a LucasArts thing... however, I've never played BF* so I don't know.

I personally think the preCU emulator projects are the best hope for seeing CH again as we knew and loved it, or at least within reasonable tolerances. Even if there is an SWG2, I rather doubt it'd be anything like pre-CU - it'd likely be a completely new vision.

Ketu Sringa[/quote]

True, but it would have CH and any CH is better than no CH at all. Anyway, ya, Bioware did BF2 and I'm pretty sure they also did EaW
SHAZAM!
martyk

Postby martyk » Wed May 31, 2006 6:53 pm

I have come to the revelation that the friend I heard that from must have been talking about the SWG emulator. He must have confused it for a sequal.
SHAZAM!
Iakimo
Field Biologist
Field Biologist
Location: Somewhere north of Bree. (\"Oh... real life? Erm... Huntsville, AL... I think...\")

Who did what to whom...

Postby Iakimo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:20 am

BioWare in conjunction with Black Isle Studios released [i:1a4b3a3b67]Knights of the Old Republic.[/i:1a4b3a3b67] When Black Isle folded due to financial issues, the main developers formed Oblivion Studios, which produced KOTOR-2.

Pandemic Studios developed [i:1a4b3a3b67]Star Wars: Battlefields[/i:1a4b3a3b67] and [i:1a4b3a3b67]Battlefields-2.[/i:1a4b3a3b67]

Late 2005, a big merger occurred, uniting BioWare and Pandemic with an investment group named Elevation Partners, who have provided major financial backing.

[color=violet:1a4b3a3b67]BioWare/Pandemic/Elevation Partners merger announcement:[/color:1a4b3a3b67] [url]http://bioware.pandemicstudios.com/[/url]

This spring, the new BioWare/Pandemic/Elevation Partners entity announced the formation of a new development studio in Austin, TX, dedicated to the creation of BioWare's first MMORPG. Speculation immediately began that this would be a new [i:1a4b3a3b67]Star Wars[/i:1a4b3a3b67] MMORPG. Adding to the frenzied speculation was BioWare's hiring of several prominent Sony Online/SWG executives, including Gordon Walton and Richard Vogel, who are joined by longtime BioWare Creative Director James Ohlen, whose credits include lead or co-lead developer roles for [i:1a4b3a3b67]KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate-2, and Neverwinter Nights.[/i:1a4b3a3b67] Heady stuff, indeed!

The BioWare forum thread discussing this new studio has as of mid-June 2006 run to a whopping 48 pages -- the vast majority of posts speculating about the possibility that this MMORPG [i:1a4b3a3b67]might[/i:1a4b3a3b67] turn out to be a new Star Wars game. However, BioWare has steadfastly refused at this point to enunciate any specific plans for [i:1a4b3a3b67]any[/i:1a4b3a3b67] genre or franchise as the subject of the project, saying at this point that they are only in the preliminary team-building stage of the studio's development, and a long way from even deciding what setting will be the subject of the game they develop.

[color=violet:1a4b3a3b67]Official Austin Studio Press Release: [/color:1a4b3a3b67][url]http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2006_03_15_Austin/[/url]
[color=violet:1a4b3a3b67]Bioware Discussion Thread on the Austin Studio:[/color:1a4b3a3b67] [url]http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=473550&forum=41[/url]

The only other item of note I have seen on this subject is a comment from LucasArts, saying that they have received contacts from numerous game publishers inquiring about possibly developing a next-generation Star Wars MMORPG at some point in the future, but at this point, no substantive discusions have taken place. Their take on the matter: "Nope; not interested." Which, given the fact that SWG is still an active game, seems to be the only thing LucasArts could possibly say on the matter, so it fails to quench the speculative fires, even though it could well be the total and simple truth.

Far as I'm concerned, the inability of the principals to douse the flames only points out the exceedingly low reputation of SOE at this time.

Serves the bastards right.
Iakimo Wioga, Jedi Padawan
Former Master Bounty Hunter/Master Creature Handler

SOE SUCKS!!!

Return to “Creature Handler Discussions”