Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

New BE Question-What are Live Samples for?

Discussions pertaining to the bio-engineer profession
2ndssnco

New BE Question-What are Live Samples for?

Postby 2ndssnco » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:28 am

Yeah, I'm a noob to BE. When searching lairs, I'm getting a lot of \"live samples\" as opposed to eggs. Are these just for looks or can I actually sell them to someone?

Also, since I'm here, what's the best creature to DNA sample? I'm only level 1 yet so what's the best bang for my buck?
Yvesof

Postby Yvesof » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:41 am

The live samples go into a craftable object called the \"Live Creature Habitat\". Basically, it allows a cheap special effect when you release the animals inside. They'll flutter around and light up in the air for a while and that's all. I destroy them, but you might try seeing if any entertainers would like them.

And basically any big animal will do. I don't think the sampling xp changes the higher your skill is, only based on the targets CL.
Yvesof Tabec
Master Bio-Engineer/Carbineer/CH
Resident of Minerva, Naboo
Valcyn Server
snortimer

Postby snortimer » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:56 pm

I sampled critters around large cities like Theed or Mos Eisley for level I dna. I think I did for DNA II as well. After that I went to Dantooine and did Piket missions for the rest of the DNA boxes.
Sinaya

Postby Sinaya » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:29 am

Sample anything and everything you can sneak up to! I started on Gubbers around Coronet and got bored with them within a day. I have only BE 0120 and I love going to places like Dantooine and Dathomir and sampling the \"big boys\". I get around 350 xp for sampling a Piket or other large critters....whereas I only get around 70 xp (?) for sampling Gubbers.

Some tips to help you stay alive...

1. Use Mask Scent - for the really aggressive critters, get yourself some +25 mask scent clothes
2. Get some Vasarian Brandy to help not drain your mind pool when sampling
3. go in *Peace mode* (so you don't auto-attack if they aggro - remember, you wanna kill 'em with your needle after a few samples, not your pistol) :wink:
4. If they do aggro - run. Keep running in peace mode until the critter backs off and goes back to it's lair. Heal yourself up (if you kept the Medic line you had to get for BE, you can make your own decent Stim-B's), then go back to the lair (with mask scent and peace mode enabled).

Rinse and repeat. :)
Dorelli

Postby Dorelli » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:39 am

I agree with the peace mode thing. Also I just made a very cool running away macro that I put on a hot key.

/target speederbike;
/mount;
/pause 0.25;
/peace;
/pause 2;
/peace;

repeat here peace and pausing about 8 times. This means that when you run, you only have to go until you have no music. THe actual running away part is best to do by hand so you can steer the bike.

For sampling - I mask scent - and have as high mask scent BE clothes and food as I can get (jawa beer) and take brandy so my mind doesn't wear out. I ride my bike RIGHT UP to the beasty and target (with tab) and sample and sample and if it aggros i HIT my run away key and run. Works great.

I have my mind stats adjusted pretty high - might even get them higher. I do sample with armour on but that is in case I get whacked. I don't use a doctor's buff for sampling (so far) although it wouldn't hurt I'm sure. Next is to see about mind buffs

Dorelli Deacon (master BE on Bloodfin)
Shadowchylde

Postby Shadowchylde » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:53 pm

mask scent is awesome, and if you go with a friend to watch your back, make sure they have mask scent or hang back or the critters will get spooked and run (wasting the mind u just spent on the attempt) or aggro, and you can't sample from a critter that's fighting someone else
No I can't go on a raid with you, I've got stuff to make!
Scoutloch

Postby Scoutloch » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:41 am

I use BE Clothing, Jawa Beer, with mask scent, and end up at mask scent +92 - not to bad.

I eat Exo protien, or synth steak, so if they agro some def. Buff, and a little brandy of course for the Mind.

another thing u might do when sampling pickets on dantoone, milk them first. this milk can be used for chiefs foods, or u can use to make your creatures. saves a little on meat expenses. also used in some BE componets.

also take picket missions, ( i get them for about 9k-11k buy pulling out my largest pet, probot, and strongest wepeon to get these missions )
) dna them to death, tap the nest get the next spawn sample them, then take out the nest, so u get 22k credits, dna sampling experince, ch experince when your pets have to defend you.

also my droid has a food and crafting machine built in so if im just grinding for BE crafting, when my inventory fills up with dna samples ( Find a Safe Place) and make DNA templates on the spot clean up my inventory a little then continue sampling. so if i go home with 120 templates that means i use at least 600 dna samples, not a bad haul for one outing.

also if u are a CH, which i am i bring out my pet and and probot battle droid and have then Guard me, this way if they agro, the pets will intercept. here i choose if i want to fight , or run but as a CH i can store 9 pets ( at the current time, they all have 8k hams with kentic restance, so if they die it's ok they saved me. then i pull out another one, and keep going.

Return to “BE Discussions”