Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

BE and Pet level/stats adjustment

Discussions pertaining to the bio-engineer profession
Dorelli

BE and Pet level/stats adjustment

Postby Dorelli » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:32 am

Hi everyone,

I am a very very new BE. I just made a pet that I was very very proud of. It was a dewback with 3.8K/3.9K/4.4K HAM. AND it turned out level 10.

When my non-CH friend that I was giving it to tamed it ... it was fine. He then handed it to my CH husband who called it and got a message that the animal was all of out balance with it's level and that he could adjust stats or level. We had no choice but to adjust level (well ... the non-CH can't use a higher than 10 pet) and ended up with a 900/900/900 level 10 dewback.

What's going on here? I was really disappointed :(
-- Dor
Gath

Postby Gath » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:58 am

The code for making BE pets isnt exactly flaw free..
And for some reason the devs made code that checks if the pet is faulty when you call it (or if both tame and call) instead of when you make it. Aparantly that code is buggy too as it should have triggered right away.

Either that or it checks every time you call and its possible having the baby being correct at L1 but getting faulty stats at L2 (which isnt much better).

I dont know if theres something you can do to ensure its all nice and proper before you start cheering, but when you get the question if you want to adjust level or stats Id recomend adjusting level. You cant use it then but maybe your CH friend can.

When you choose to adjust stats it will set the HAM and damage to that of an [b:163f9021a1]average[/b:163f9021a1] L10 mob, which is 900 HAM as you noticed. And it will also strip all resists, both specials and probably ranged attacks as well. In other words, if you adjust stats you will get a pet thats worse than you can make with even a half assed attempt for a BE pet (and probably worse than wild babies too).

Although I dont know exactly how the pet will be effected if you raise its level either, I only had 1 faulty BE pet and chose level at that point, was gonna make it into a mount..
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:33 am

The code is checked each time the pet is called, and after a growth spurt, the pet has a chance to activate it.

The point that annoys BEs and CHs to no end is that valid looking pets get hit by it while \"abominations\" seem to get past it just fine. Plus it gives neither of us confidence in what we are buying or selling.
Dorelli

Postby Dorelli » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:13 pm

I suppose then, the only possibility of being SURE that what you are selling is to sell fully grown adults. But that is no fun. Everyone likes to raise their pets from babyhood.

While on the subject - what is the difference between trading a pet and the transfer command. If my husband trains a pet that belongs to someone else, it seems to understand the commands. But he isn't master CH yet so he doesn't have the transfer command.

Does the transfer command simply serve to over-write the master tag on the pet's data?

Thanks,
Dor
Gath

Postby Gath » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:35 am

[quote:3d90344bcd=\"Dorelli\"]what is the difference between trading a pet and the transfer command.[/quote:3d90344bcd]

Using secure trade you can be sure to get payed (for instance), using the transfer command you cant be sure to get payed.

As far as I know you couldnt trade pets once upon a time, and the master command transfer would be a remnant from then. Its basically the same thing as opening a trade and just giving it through that. Im not 100% sure about that but Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong. :)
Dorelli

Postby Dorelli » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:51 pm

Actually - this is surprise - it's ME that knows the answer to this one. We found out today.

I'd made some BE small pets for my friends..nothing over level 10 and they'd raised them from level 1 to 3 quite happily. They could use all the commands we'd taught them.

However, when the pets got to level 4, all of sudden, my friends were told that they could no longer call them - they had no chance of controlling them.

Eeeek!

So - one of my friends found a master CH who taught the pets the /transfer command. Then they were able to call their pets again and were very happy.

So it seems, you can just trade pets around from one datapad to another while they are babies, but they will outgrow you without the /transfer command!

Thanks for reading,
Dor
Gath

Postby Gath » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:05 pm

I sold 3 L10 mounts today and noone had any problems with calling them out. As long as the max level of the creature isnt over L10 and its not vicious it [b:452c37481d]should[/b:452c37481d] work just fine.

On the other hand, the day before I tried giving a L1/14 pet, but the fella I was giving it to couldnt receive it. And today I could give L7/14 pets to a non-CH without any problems. It seems fairly glitchy to me..
pe'or

Postby pe'or » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:16 am

OH my so I am not the only person to have found this. I find 4/10 pets I create that are allegedly level 8-10 get \"adjusted\" not when I tame the pet but when it is first called from the data pad.. (I tested this using pets made from spineflap and shapaut)

As you say Lantyssa, this gives me no confidence in what I am trying to sell as a non CH pet. Its not such a big deal for Creature Handlers as they will grow into the pet eventually but trying to knock out non CH mounts is a nightmare. Everyone wants their pet to be Level 10 (because thats the best of course) and they all want the best possible ham.

I also asked myself if they can check the pets stats when called from the datapad why did they not put it in at creation time? the whole thing has [size=24:4d47ce257e]KLUDGE [/size:4d47ce257e]written all over it in big capital letters.

I complained about this to the CSRs who simply sent me a standard reply saying \"Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your pets, there are good guides to the BE professions at blah blah blah blah..\" needless to say, as often happens, they had not actually read the post, simply flicked over it, seen the words \"pet\" and \"bioengineer\" and pulled out the frequently asked questions auto-response.. I hate that

My current remedy (not a solution) is to simply close my eyes and sell the pet as the deed claims it to be. If anyone comes back I give them a replacement pet and take the faulty one back. The only way I can give my customers any confidence is with a returns policy.

I can see this has been no use at all but at least Ive managed to have a rant and let off some steam.
Pe'or - Chimaera - Master BE and CH/Pistoleer :) soon to be dropping combat due to vendor nerf in pub10
Juicer

Postby Juicer » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:01 pm

hmmm...so can non-CH use higher level pets if the pet is /transfered to them?
Get a free iPod at http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14941952 (not a scam)
Dorelli

Postby Dorelli » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:45 pm

Definately not higher than 10. My friends were having problems with their pets after they reached level 7 or so out of 9/10 and it seemed to be fixed with /transfer but who knows.

I understand the same behaviour can also be fixed by re-logging on further reading.

Return to “BE Discussions”