Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

JTL - more subtle implications for CH

General site discussion area
Motherslip

Re:

Postby Motherslip » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:50 am

[quote:d80f1e788b=\"Zurlaboo\"]Surprisingly, I get asked to supply mounts pretty regularly. I don't know if it's just the 'natural blurt' when people find out you're a CH, kinda like saying \"no bills' to the mailman, or if people really still want mounts to use. *shrug*

Now if we could mount flying critters or very very fast critters, we'd be back in business :)[/quote:d80f1e788b]

[b:d80f1e788b][color=yellow:d80f1e788b]Yep.

I STILL want a Pernese dragon! :P [/color:d80f1e788b][/b:d80f1e788b]
AKA TootsieDaWookie/Ithi Ok'a/L'essa Ru'Atha/Fewi Ik'Ra

Never met a creature I didn't like--well--except crawly ones--well--except stinky ones--well--I haven't met ALL of 'em, either------
Motherslip

Re:

Postby Motherslip » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:03 am

[quote:c724e768c1=\"Cyphaze\"]Yes, people still ask for mounts, but they're just for looks and RP value. They're useless for what they're supposed to be - a mode of transportation.[/quote:c724e768c1]

[b:c724e768c1][color=yellow:c724e768c1]I dunno about that.

I think it depends on your profession. If you ONLY want to get from hyar to thar as quickly as possible, take the shuttle. Why bother with an expensive bike?

On the other hand, now that my scouting skills allow me to ride cross-country in relative safety, I enjoy the view--after all, why am I playing this game, anyways? To make it like real life and hurry myself to death? Huh-UH!

When I am riding one of my guys out on Naboo or wherever---even Rori or Endor if I am with a CH friend--we take the time to actually appreciate what all is IN this game. It is art! Plus, you never can tell WHAT you will run into (or what will run into YOU) when you take the slow road--and that, to me, makes all the difference. That is a big part of why I am a CH instead of a merchant or an ID or chef.

Let everybody else get ulcers. My posse and I will be out in the boonies, taking what comes, thank you.

Toots[/color:c724e768c1][/b:c724e768c1]

Never met a creature I didn't like--well--except crawly ones--well--except stinky ones--well--I haven't met ALL of 'em, either------
Cyphaze

Postby Cyphaze » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:33 pm

I seriously wish shuttles could take you from missions to caves to POIs, but they don't. So, we use bikes. Or mounts.

The problem is that the vast majority of professions in the game ARE people who want to get from city point A to grind point B as fast as possible, so they can master whatever profession as fast as possible, so they can get bored of the game as fast as possible.

In that context, mounts are pretty pointless, in a utilitarian manner. Sure, you have more time to see the scenery on a mount, but I find 1.3k meters to get boring quite quickly - but that's just me.

If it were any other way, you could always find me and my savage humbaba traversing the open plains, my torso and upper body bending strangely on slopes.
Motherslip

Postby Motherslip » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:33 am

[b:dbb4c79f39][color=yellow:dbb4c79f39]You are absolutely right, Cy.

It will take me FOREVER to make MCH--but I will enjoy every second of game time, every \"surprise\" that pops out at me from nowhere, every nuance that taking it slowly offers; in short, I am having a ball doing it my way, lol. By the time I get to my goal, I will have squeezed every possible penny's worth of value out of my game time. :P

I know all the task-oriented, frenzied ones out there just can't be bothered, but perhaps my stage of life has taught me that there is nothing more satisfying than smelling those posies.

Plus, I love my critters, and I don't like leaving them behind when I outgrow them, so I don't mind extending our time together. They make such good partners!

They are much easier to work with than humans when you are hunting; never any miscommunication. Never any \"Why didn't you do THIS?\" \"I thought I told you to do THAT\"

Well--as long as I don't press that CAPS key :oops: [/color:dbb4c79f39][/b:dbb4c79f39]

Kriegan'shka

Postby Kriegan'shka » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:35 pm

Well I fully agree with Motherslip. Thats exactly the way I feel about this game to. I'm often taking 8 to 10k meter treks to hunt and train my CH skills on my slow road to MCH. I combine my hunting, CH training and Mining into each of these trips and always use my Dewey BE mount. Hes one tough lil bugger and is always there to back me up if I need it. But I've had 5 fambaas on me at once unbuffed, so thats not often. Being a TKM and wearing a set of Phrozen's \"Custom Tank Armor\" helps to... :)

I thought it was just my slow comp that was causing spawns to appear behind me while riding my swoop. When I'm surveying with my Artisan I often stop right in the middle of voritors that appear as yellow dots, then turn red, then all hell breaks loose. Its nice to know its happening to others to.
velm

Postby velm » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:38 pm

For the most part, I gotta agree with taking a shuttle to whatever city a person wants to go to.
I have a speeder bike and that thing is ALWAYS decaying. It seems like I am dropping 2,000 credits every other day to keep it at full. One of the nice things about it, is that when you are under attack, you can usually fly past whatever is attacking you.
A mount, on the other hand, just LOOKS so darn neat. Sure, it might not go as fast, but there is just something about riding a carrion spat or whatnot. While I am not too certain as the speed of the mounts, I dont have any of that tier done yet, you should be able to still run away if it is too tough of a fight or use the default attacks if you really want to.
MCH/Master Scout/ Rifleman 2/2/1/3/ Ranger 0/0/3/0

(actually, i dropped the ranger and became a master rifleman before the NGE)
Iakimo
Field Biologist
Field Biologist
Location: Somewhere north of Bree. (\"Oh... real life? Erm... Huntsville, AL... I think...\")

Mounts as escape vehicles

Postby Iakimo » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:31 am

Most mounts' default speed is a gentle lope. However, you have a /gallop command that is in effect a /burstrun for mounts. They giddyapp pretty good with that... for a minute or two before they're winded. You can either type /gallop (and conversely, /stopgallop), or drag the hotkey icon into your hot button row and use it with your mouse.

Of the mountable pets, my observation is that kaadus and carrion spats are tied for fastest mount, while dewbacks and humbabas are in the middle and banthas bring up the rear. I have yet to put a giant carrion spat up head-to-head with any of those, though.
Iakimo Wioga, Jedi Padawan
Former Master Bounty Hunter/Master Creature Handler

SOE SUCKS!!!

Return to “SWG Creatures General Discussion”