Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

Just can't take it....

General site discussion area
ranja123

Just can't take it....

Postby ranja123 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:33 pm

I played on the Test Center for the CU nerf with my current template.
Wow I really stink now, I don't have the patience to add 6 months to a year or more to my jedi grind so I bid all of you adieu.

As my MCH/ TKM is near worthless solo or duo I have no interest in encouraging Sony/ Lucas to spew forth any more Torton feces like this CU they are forcing on us. I also do not have a wish to respec and play something else cause they broke my 2 favourite classes not to mention our pets.

I will try to assist all of you as much as I can but I think my experience will account for naught after they slap us with this CU nerf.

Be safe and see all of you in the forums only :P
hossp

Postby hossp » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:17 pm

i can appreciate what you are saying..my mrifle /mch is usless beyond belief now too...i don't plan on canceling YET, but i don't think i will play much..if i do it will probably be quests on the expansin pack, as i can't kill anything anymore..lol
Iakimo
Field Biologist
Field Biologist
Location: Somewhere north of Bree. (\"Oh... real life? Erm... Huntsville, AL... I think...\")

RE: Just can't take it...

Postby Iakimo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:06 am

Well, the devs have announced a last-minute reduction in the severity of the level-based damage multiplier, so maybe it will be more feasible to fight a broader range of opponents once the live servers go online with the CU.
Iakimo Wioga, Jedi Padawan
Former Master Bounty Hunter/Master Creature Handler

SOE SUCKS!!!
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:04 am

Great post Mujahid!

For everyone that has waited this long, I would give it a little time to get used to. Essentially you're playing a new version of SWG and all new games have a learning period where things may not feel right at first. Once you have done that, then decide whether you are having fun or not.

Best wishes either way!

Lantyssa
ranja123

Postby ranja123 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:37 pm

Sorry for the perceived \"whining...\"

I like and am proud of my class choices and I worked hard just like all of you to get as far as I have.

\"You are 5 blocks short of finishing the last pyramid in Egypt and the gank squad comes in and bulldozes your masterpiece down, they bring in 1500 semi loads of straw bales and say \"this will make your pyramid \"better...*wink wink*\" REALLY ... it will!
\"You can build an equally beautiful pyramid much faster and easier.\"

I argue that I am a stone mason as the leader waves his hand and says
\"You WILL like the straw better...\" \"These are not the stones you are looking for...\"

I don't like wasting my time, worse yet having someone I pay waste it for me...

My \"whining\" is controlled anger I suppose, apologies for offending all of you.

Try playing a TKM/ MCH and see if you agree... my mantigrue screetcher has a funny voice now that he has been neutered...
Iakimo
Field Biologist
Field Biologist
Location: Somewhere north of Bree. (\"Oh... real life? Erm... Huntsville, AL... I think...\")

Re: RE: Just can't take it...

Postby Iakimo » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:47 pm

[quote:adc626dc78=\"Iakimo\"]Well, the devs have announced a last-minute reduction in the severity of the level-based damage multiplier, so maybe it will be more feasible to fight a broader range of opponents once the live servers go online with the CU.[/quote:adc626dc78]

Ass you can see, I was trying to maintain a positive, open-minded attitude towards the CU. Like so many of us, I assumed that SOE couldn't do [i:adc626dc78]anything[/i:adc626dc78] to make Creature Handler a weaker profession.

Oh, how wrong I was.

I'd been following the discussions on the \"hate\" system in the SWG forums, and indeed it has turned out as I had feared. As a Master Bounty Hunter, I constantly out-damage my pets, and therefore they have completely lost all ability to \"tank\" for me, short of me disarming completely and burst-running out of combat range. And to compound the problem, pet special attacks have been completely disabled!

At this point, the only thing keeping me from cancelling my [i:adc626dc78]Rage of the Wookiees[/i:adc626dc78] expansion preorder and posting a screenie of me riding my pet dewback off into a Tatooinian sunset with a big, fat Photoshop-added \"Bite Me!\" scrawled on its butt, is the forlorn hope that the devs will grow some horse sense and give our beloved pets a way to gain/keep a target's aggro and restore pet special attacks. After all, I wonder how the rest of the gaming community would howl if special attacks were disabled for rifles. pistols, carbines, and all melee weapons.

SOE SUCKS!!!
Iakimo
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Re:

Postby Iakimo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:47 am

[quote:c5200f7351=\"Mujahid\"]I played for hours last night. As a swordsman and master marksman, I generate a TON of aggro. I had no problems whatsoever with my pet not being able to keep aggro. As long as I sent him in first and let him get a few hits in, there were no problems.

I'm loving the CU so far. Many things that used to be painfully frustrating are no longer painfully frustrating. And that's a plus in my book.[/quote:c5200f7351]

Well, you must not mind that using pets is now the in-game equivalent of playing with baby dolls. No special attacks, no ability to induce state changes, no nothing. Just a datapad full of big in-game decorations that do a small amount of base damage.

Let's see... how can we get through your thick skull the magnitude of this ruination for CH...? I know! Let's strip Swordsman of all your jazzy special attacks, and reduce you to only using, say, a noob-level light sword for the rest of your career. And while we're at it, make it so all the MObs you attack completely ignore you, so that if you want to contribute to whatever it is your group is doing, you have to constantly run after whatever it is you want to add your pathetically small amount of additional damage to. And then, to top it all off, let's make you take up four slots in an eight-person group! (The equivalent of a master CH and three pets)

How welcome do you think you'd be made to feel in this game with a dev rape like that?

SOE SUCKS!!!
Iakimo
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Re:

Postby Iakimo » Sun May 01, 2005 12:58 pm

[quote:93806a616d=\"Mujahid\"]You paint me as a swordsman because it's useful to your argument. But what you don't realize is that I have far more experience as a CH than I do as a Swordsman. Then you fail to respond to the fact that I had no trouble with my pet maintaining aggro.

Mujahid \"Thickskull\" Mukhtaar

[/quote:93806a616d]

Well, I'm not sure to whom you were addressing your comments, so I'll assume you're responding to my post since you went to the trouble of alluding to my comments about your thick skull.

I will elaborate further, in an attempt to simplify my arguments down to your level.

First, though, let me clarify one point. I used Swordsman as my analogy, because that's what you said you were, and it was an attempt to illustrate our issue in a different context, presumably one that was familiar to you. Obviously, the attempt was lost on you.

Now, you made the comment that you are a low-level Swordsman, and an experienced Creature Handler. This may be a clue as to why your pets have no trouble holding their aggro. Help me here; I am still trying to figure it out. Do you have high-level pets? If so, they may be dishing out enough damage to match the damage amounts from your own melee attacks. I, however, am in the opposite end of the picture. As a Master Bounty Hunter, I've never had the skill points available to go beyond midlevel CH, so my pets currently top out at level-40. (My current workhorse is a piket longhorn named \"Beaker\" after the Muppets character).

Now, when I start shooting, I generally do more damage than Beaker does, even using my base attack. And when I use any special, it's guaranteed.

Several things bother me about this state of affairs. First, the devs created this Hate system, but gave players no way to counter it tactially. Second, they stripped CH pets of their special attacks without a word of explanation -- and Vertexon (the CH Correspondent) is [i:93806a616d]still[/i:93806a616d] begging for information, weeks after he first posted his concerns about this issue, 'way back at the launch of the CU on Test Center. At this point, we don't even know if this was an intentional redesign/nerf, or an error!

At any rate, I am trying to make this new system work. I did manage to take out a random Slinking Voritor Hunter lair on Dantooine last night, and it went fairly well. The first vor incapped me and destroyed my swoop, but once I recovered, I was able to finish it off, and managed to kill the rest of the lizards in good fashion. Got some good weapons XP and excellent CH xp, so some glimmers of light are beginning to emerge from the clouds of doom. I just hope the devs do something cool to tweak the Hate system, like add some modifiers to state changes that alter the likelihood of an aggro transfer. For example, a Blinded target might flail about blindly for a bit, and have trouble latching onto your location... that sort of thing. Or, [i:93806a616d]if they restored pet specials,[/i:93806a616d] perhaps they could make it so that when Beaker used his \"Intimidate\" special (assuming Intimidate is still in-game...), the target shows signs of panic or fear, and gets locked onto the pet for a moment or even tries to run away.

But the core problem right now is the information vaccuum. I can speculate and toss ideas around all I want, but until the Devs SPEAK, it's all hot air.

SOE SUCKS!!!
Nytar

Postby Nytar » Sun May 01, 2005 6:37 pm

Hate system seems to be a bit bugged, but I was able to stick aggro from NS elder to my pet firmly once we let my pet attack her for a while. After my pet had an aggro from her, all damage dealers went berserk on her. Of course, my pet needed some good healing from healers, but we managed to kill a few NS Elder this way. BTW she is level 250 or so now.

High end NSs kill any player with 1 or 2 hits now (including Jedi, TKM whatever). The only way was to use pets for tanking. Its good to see CH is useful again.
[color=#33CCFF:b375b202e1] Nyter:Genetics[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CCCC:b375b202e1] Tempest[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CC99:b375b202e1] Naboo, Edoras[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CC66:b375b202e1] 6228 -4316[/color:b375b202e1]

Return to “SWG Creatures General Discussion”