Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

BE data - what is being done with it please?

Suggestions and recommendations on improving SWGCreatures.com (NOT SWG THE GAME!)
Dorelli

BE data - what is being done with it please?

Postby Dorelli » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:57 am

Hello,

Sorry for barging in here without carefully reading every post :( Not good form I know but um ... I do wish to sincerely help - I usually participate on the official BE forums and we all regard swgcreatures as a major site for BE's.

I'm a BE on bloodfin and also an .asp programmer - and as you know BE has completely changed. I was wondering what is being done on swgcreatures with regard to this (sorry I haven't read all your posts on swgcreatures) and also, I would very much like to help update the DNA calculator (but obviously not to replace the person who it belongs to - just if you need someone).

We are currently going to test to see if the old putting together a template equations work with the new DNA ... and come up with some new ones if they don't. We've come up with predictive equations for all the other BE stats as well that would be useful to be added to the DNA laboratory.

I think the old DNA data needs to be archived or deleted even (might be useful to keep for posterity) and certain fields of the table hidden on stats - all of the resistances etc. are of course gone. I would be very happy to help with this effort as much as you need me ...

The DNA from mission lairs differs from the wild lairs so it is important that only wild creature DNA is put into the new database and that needs to be made clear to people entering data i think :)

Please let me know what I can do to help and all that. Wasn't sure if I should try to figure out who to mail privately or what?

Yours,
Dorelli Deacon (master BE Bloodfin)

PS. now that I've posted this i should really go have a look at what's already been DONE here ... sorry ... and forgive me for posting before I've looked ...
Juntao
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Juntao » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:49 am

Well, it's good that you mention this here.

In all honesty, I don't really play much anymore. And I long ago cancelled my alt account that had my BE on it. Which means I have no idea of the changes that have occurred to the BE profession since the CU changes.

What would help most, is if you can help me document what has changed in game and what needs to be changed on the site to match those changes.

As for the Calculator, Lantyssa was the originator of that and if given new algorithms, it could probably be updated to reflect the changes.

I have no problem archiving off the old DNA information. I have kind of been waiting a bit on making widespread changes (such as removing resists, etc) until we have a more final view of what creatures are going to be like when Sony declares the CU changes 'finished'.
Juntao Ta'kor
Master Creature Handler
Ahazi Galaxy
Dorelli

Postby Dorelli » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:53 pm

Hello and thanks for replying so soon Juntao.

We are ready for the DNA to be archived now please so that we can start entering our new samples. If you don't mind, could you also add to the DNA sample entry page, a really loud clear message that this should only be DNA taken from WILD creatures.

This is because the DNA from mission creatures is adjusted according to the mission level (as you would expect). So we need pure wild DNA in the database.

I also expect there will be a certain amount of wrong DNA going into the database on this account and I wouldn't know how to prevent that. People who have samples that were taken from mission creatures that they didn't know were missions and thought were wild and that sort of thing.

Since these will throw the database values WAY off, might I suggest that someone could be appointed to monitor the DNA database part and reject values that are obviously completely off (I volunteer if you like). However, we'd need a edit page for that task that wasn't available to all :(

er ... as for the creature data ... I can see that the tables will need to be stripped (archived) of a lot of the old fields but we don't know exactly how creatures will be affected by elemental damage yet since it isn't in the game yet. We don't know if we will be able to SEE this either. Seems this job could wait.

This is going to be a huge task. As you aren't playing anymore, are you SURE this is something you want to do? There are other solutions, if you like ... not let swgcreatures die but ... sheesh it's going to be a lot of work for you :(

yours,
Dorelli
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:18 pm

Hiya! Just a point of clarification, but I only made the Tissue Calculator. I don't want to take credit for something that isn't mine. I [i:f6a2ebd325]think[/i:f6a2ebd325] the original creator is mentioned in a thread somewhere, probably the announcement of the DNA Lab.

There is a reasonable chance I will be returning to the game soon. I'll be happy to help y'all sort out the changes as best I can if I do, however I am no longer a BE either. Being a board nut, hopefully it won't take me too long to get up to speed (I still follow the SWG boards, I just can't post).
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 pm

Ah, [url=http://www.swgcreatures.com/forums/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=364]here is the link[/url] announcing the DNA Lab. It looks like [color=yellow:15294a4b6f]vvedge[/color:15294a4b6f] provided the code. Presumably it won't be too hard to modify if we know the new weightings.

Bogus samples are usually pretty easy to spot since the variation is not that great. Unfortunately the only way to catch them is to compare them when we run across them, make note, and let us know to clean it. We do probably need to archive/delete all the old DNA with the recent changes.
Juntao
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Juntao » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:55 pm

Ack! Yes, Lantyssa is correct! Shame on me :oops:

vvedge did a marvelous job on the DNA Lab!
Juntao Ta'kor

Master Creature Handler

Ahazi Galaxy
Juntao
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Juntao » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:50 pm

I finally got around to archiving and then updating the DNA data. I removed all DNA data entered before 4/29/05 from the database.

Just a heads up!
Juntao Ta'kor

Master Creature Handler

Ahazi Galaxy

Return to “SWG Creatures Suggestions”