Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

Pet suggestions & alternate professions/...plz read :)

Discussions pertaining to the creature handler profession
Fierce

Pet suggestions & alternate professions/...plz read :)

Postby Fierce » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:41 am

Hey all,im fairly new to Swg. I was reading about Swg since before it was even in beta,...when swg came out i played it opening day since i didnt get into beta, but had to quit for RL purposes.Luckily,i started Swg again last week.Anyways,i have always wanted to be a CH,sadly i was disapointed to come back to a nerfed class,but i hold my head high and look for solutions rather then complain about the problems. ANYWAYS

First thing..Lets here u guys suggestions on some of the best pets for PvP (plz dont complain about how crapy we are in pvp,just make positive comments,) and include why u think there best (there specials or whatever)

Second..what are some suggestions on the best tanking pet for pve,and the best dmg dealing pets etc.

And last,i need advice,i have currently been doing Teras kasi,and im around 0/1/2/1 in teras kasi while grinding xp to become CH (almost a CH novice now)...I am now torn between TKA/CH or COmbaT medic and CH..i am Very pvp oriented so take that into concideration..my guild has to defend our rebel base every night...
Anyways.plz try not to complain,lets try and improve our profession rather then put it down..any suggestions are appreciated,thank you.. ohh btw not sure how well i wrote this so dont flame my grammer etc,its 6;30 in the morning and the coffee has got the best of me atm :
Fierce Pride - Kauri Server
Warrote

Postby Warrote » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:16 am

Best PVP...

I hear plaque strike is pretty cool, and both the Mantigrue Screecher and Bull Rancor have that. Merek's Death Head has both Strong Poison and Strong Disease. I need to try out my Gaping Spider Recluse because it has good energy & kinetic resists with poison spray and strong poison as specials.

Best tank...

Frenzied Graul...but they are very rare (60% Kinetic with light armor).

My suggestion is to run an advanced search for CL <70 and Babies-yes. Then sort the results decending on CL. As you click on each creature, notice the \"additional information\" in the upper right. It will give you the \"effective\" HAM against energy and kinetic. This takes into account armor and resists.

But the best bet would be to have a Bio Engineer make you a couple of lower level pets that have disease, poison and the resists you are looking for.

Sorry, don't know anything about TKA or CM (Master Rifleman here).

Warrote of Bloodfin
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:17 am

You might want pet combinations that give dizzy and crippling strike. I would not look for knockdown because you cannot command that special to go off. It either will or won't at the pet's discretion and in PvP you need it to happen.

Intimidate is often overlooked, but it cuts damage in half. Stun reduces damage slightly and prevents a lot of actions (I'm not sure if any are significant in PvP though).

Plague Strike (Screecher) is a vicious area special that starts out with 150 wounds per tick and slowly goes up. It hits a random pool when it lands, but mind seems common enough.

Poison Spray (Gaping Recluse) is an area poison that does 110 poison a tick to a random pool. Not as nasty, but the recluse is a lot easier to find and, if you don't care about it, more disposable.

I would avoid pets that are Mild/Medium/Strong Poison or Disease. Like Knockdown, these cannot be ordered used. Pets fire them way too rarely on their own to be useful in PvP. As secondary specials or simply an added bonus on an otherwise good pet they are fine, just do not base your choice around these specials.

Pets go down pretty fast, so it might be best to get multiple ones with the specials you want. Plus it increases the chance of the specials landing if they are ignored.
Nytar

Postby Nytar » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:53 pm

Sorry to jump in and ask different question...
But I will give my 2 cents about mantigrue screecher at the end.

If I remember correctly, if your enemy is in a dizzy state, you have a better chance of knocking it down. Does this work with pets? I mean, if my pet has dizzy attack and after dizzy sticks to my enemy, do I have a better chance of knocking the enemy down using MY OWN specials?? As a novice pistoleer, I have a pretty weak knockdown attack (0-0-0-1) and if my pet can help me getting a successful KD, that would be very cool.

As for mantigrue screecher, I have been trying to get a baby for a while and its not easy for me. When I group with someone and group my pets(lvl60 combined), I can take missions for MScreecher (23K missions), but so far, no babies. What I do is get two of those missions. Go to one of them and sample DNAs from the first 2 MScreechers then tap the lair. If baby does not spawn, I move on to the next. Do the same thing to see if baby spawns, if negative, I go back to the first lair. The first lair now is fully recovered to full health(as long as lairs are more than 500m apart). Rinse and repeat... This way, I can try as long as I can. But so far, never seen a single baby yet...
[color=#33CCFF:b375b202e1] Nyter:Genetics[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CCCC:b375b202e1] Tempest[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CC99:b375b202e1] Naboo, Edoras[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CC66:b375b202e1] 6228 -4316[/color:b375b202e1]
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:45 pm

I don't know that dizzy has an increased chance of knocking someone down or not. What I do know it does is that if you do a posture change while dizzy, you stand a significant chance of falling on your back. Kneeling, going prone, standing from kneeling or standing from knockdown all cause this to possibly happen. That is why dizzy/crippling strike is a very effective pet combo.

Mantigrue Screechers are exceedingly rare right now. It took me 40 lairs to find a baby. Some people get lucky and find one quickly, others take 100 lairs. (Bull Rancors are worse. Tivo got his after 392 or something close.)

Because of that rarity it makes it a very tough call to use them in PvP. There is a chance the vitality loss will be removed from PvP soon, so if you get one you might hold off on using it until we hear more news.
Zurlaboo

Postby Zurlaboo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:18 pm

Hey Fierce :)

I mastered TK before starting CH. I think I would have given up CH in frustration if I hadn't mastered TK first. In my limited experience as a CH, I find the combination works very well. TK excel at toe to toe combat since it's all we know. As a CH, you'll be doing a lot of toe to toe with the critters. TK are a bit overpowered at dealing melee damage so killing a lair of red cons is not uncommon. Sending a pet in at 10-20% for CH experience is all you need to be concerned with usually. Saves wear and tear on your pets.

TK have a knockdown blow and a dizzy blow and a knockdown/dizzy combo. In my experience, dizzy alone does not make it easier to knock down an opponent, but it does often make it extremely difficult for the opponent to get back up if you do knock him down. The knockdown/dizzy strategy works best on humanoid foes though. Animals seem to get right back up after a knockdown, even if they are dizzy.

Another nice thing about TKM is that Meditation 4 gives us the ability to cure poison and disease, stop bleeding, and heal all our wounds simply by kneeling for a minute or two. As a CH, you'll be getting poisoned a lot (at least I seem to, maybe I'm fighting the wrong critters hehe). I guess Combat Medic would be able to do all those things too, so that's not really a huge advantage.

And lastly, I don't PvP so I don't know those answers but here are some of the best tanking pets that I've found at lower levels:
Level 16 - Plains Tusk Cats (3900 HAM, do nice damage)
\" 17 - Dune Bantha (3900 HAM, also do nice damage)
\" 18 - Woodland Kima (5000 HAM, cute as a button)
\" 20 - Mountain Dewback (5500 HAM, always smiling)
\" 22 - Greater Desert Womp Rat (6500 HAM, get earplugs)
\" 25 - Boar Wolf (9000 HAM, if he dies, have a pig roast)

There are probably others that are better. These are the ones that tanked me so far. You can do an advanced search of the bestiary at this site specifying whatever stat/stats that you're most interested in. Hope that helped. Enjoy :)

One tame at a time
Zurl

Return to “Creature Handler Discussions”