Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

Taming a Greater Sludge Panther

Discussions pertaining to the creature handler profession
raven28690

Taming a Greater Sludge Panther

Postby raven28690 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:55 pm

hi all,
im a novice creature handler 2-1-0-0
pretty sure im lvl 20
i have a tailor making me a BE shirt to raise my taming wild and vicious creature but wanted to know exactally what i might need to do or learn next to be able to tame greater sludge panther preferably a baby?
Zurlaboo

Postby Zurlaboo » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:52 pm

Hi Raven,

At 2-1-0-0 you'd be CL 18. The GSP is CL 25. I don't think they are viscious unless that's been changed recently.

Perhaps somebody with experience using BE clothes can tell you what you need to get.

From what I understand, these guys are still rare spawns, so be prepared to spend a couple of days looking around Talus for them. If you're not yet familiar with the bestiary on this site, you can look up GSP and find waypoints where people have spotted them in the past. The waypoints are not guaranteed spawn points, but they are great approximate area references.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your hunt :)

One tame at a time,
Zurl
Oipedo

Postby Oipedo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:08 am

I have 3 of them, they're not visious. What does this shirt do that your getting?
phebus

Postby phebus » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:59 pm

At max pet level 20 you want to be looking on Talus for the famished sludge panther. Make sure you mask scent and walk so as not to wind the famished parents up because if they sense you they will go round up the pack then all jump on you. All of the big cats on talus pack hunt:You find the panthers mostly in the swamplands where the rebels hang out to the se,e of dearic, i see them 90 percent of the time im there with lairs, you'll find the lot with the exception of the minor sludges which are lvl 9 and hang about by rivers usually.

Greater sludges are lvl 25 and not overly agressive, they won't attack unless wound up, I also have 3 and i like them for their speed (they keep up with my spederbike) and they look very nice.

All i can tell you on the be front is that i have 3 items each with +14 taming wild and +14 viscious creatures. They don't allow me to tame over my max pet level but they do allow me to tame more viscious creatures than i actually had the skill to tame and my chances to tame first time have definately increased. This makes my life a bit safer as walking into a pack of reds after a baby, taming and training follow is a much quicker process so I walk out as sooner.

You should be able to tame famished with +10 taming and your be vestiment, if you want to be really safe search for more, you can get them in pants, jacket and hat definately, also its well worth looking out for an undershirt with camoflage/maskscent +14 on it too, a normal price on my server for each item is about 10-20k. You should have little problem when the time to tame GSP babies once you find some and you're at max pet level +25.

Another couple of cool talus pets to look out for are the lvl 18 kima which have 5000ham and 20% kinetic resist (tough as old boots and tiny too) and the lvl 18 devil gulginaw which is a giant bird with quite broad resists at 15 percent and a ranged attack.

HTH
Dwarf Nuna rock!!
Xakk (Flurry)

Postby Xakk (Flurry) » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:37 am

Excellent post phebus. I have a question for you though...
Do you actually walk into a pack of reds, Tame the baby, THEN stand there and teach it follow before leaving?
If you do then you are risking your self for no purpose.
Sure you gotta brave the reds to tame the baby, but after a successful tame you DO NOT need to teach it follow....simply run away. If you have tamed it, it will follow you automatically.

For all you new or future CH, listen carefully....

Do NOT stand there in the middle of a savage pack of beasts trying to teach your new tamed baby...RUN for your life and play with your pet in a safer area....LOL
Zurlaboo

Postby Zurlaboo » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:10 pm

... or store it from the radial and train it later.
phebus

Postby phebus » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:24 am

Thanks for the reply xakk, im quite new (ch 3213 rifle 3222) and have been playing about a month now so still a new player getting to grips with the game:). It seems to me that running in a pack of reds in or out reduces the efficiency of my maskscent so i never ever run away, when i do i tend to get marmalised and cant outrun cats anyway.

I only found this site very recently (this week) and its great but all of the 2003 posts on a ch forum have been reading suggested that if you didn't train follow then the baby could run off once its tamed even once you release it from storage. Obviously this has been fixed which is great and good to know.

I'll definately try the auto tamed baby follow when i next see a baby. Maybe not on giant crystal snakes though:) i'll find a paralope or something!
Dwarf Nuna rock!!
CreatureLord

Postby CreatureLord » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:02 pm

I caught my GSP when i was 1/1/0/1 on CH. Mine is fully grown and its at level 24. It is also not vicious. This might have been before the CH nerf though.
Wism

Postby Wism » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:11 am

[quote:8f1539115b=\"Xakk (Flurry)\"]Excellent post phebus. I have a question for you though...
Do you actually walk into a pack of reds, Tame the baby, THEN stand there and teach it follow before leaving?
If you do then you are risking your self for no purpose.
Sure you gotta brave the reds to tame the baby, but after a successful tame you DO NOT need to teach it follow....simply run away. If you have tamed it, it will follow you automatically.

For all you new or future CH, listen carefully....

Do NOT stand there in the middle of a savage pack of beasts trying to teach your new tamed baby...RUN for your life and play with your pet in a safer area....LOL[/quote:8f1539115b]

I usually tame while on my swoop to minimise the risk of accidentally hitting the baby on a failed tame/aggro. Once tamed, I drive out of the mob to a safer location to teach it commands - works every time. Also, if the baby does aggro, driving away enables me to draw it out of the pack.

Return to “Creature Handler Discussions”