Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

Grand Wrix Babies

Discussions pertaining to the creature handler profession
Kriegan'shka

Grand Wrix Babies

Postby Kriegan'shka » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:41 pm

I was under the impression that Grand Wrix Babies were kind of rare. But yesterday I saw 4 come out of the same lair. And wow was that lair ever prolific. I was surveying for siliclastic ore and found a nice location and was dropping two heavy min harvs. It was dusk, and I looked towards a hill and on the top was a silouette of a big cat. I targeted it and it was a Grand Wrix sitting on his haunches.

I finished up my mining and masked my scent, and put on my taming hat and proceeded towards the Wrix. All dots were yellow on radar so I walked right up to him an poked him in the nose. Instead of attacking me as I thought he would, He took off towards his lair. Ran up to it and wheeled about and charged back in my direction with his whole pride right behind him.

I quickly realized he wasn't frightened, He just went for help.... :) After dispatching three wrixs and two Grand Wrixs. I tickled the lair, but maybe a little too much as once cats started coming out they didn't stop. I had 5 or 6 on me all the time. one would drop an one would take his place. The first baby that came out went down before I saw it. The second I saw and I broke into a run with a ton of cats on my butt. Even tho I was running I had forgotten to \"peace\" in the excitement and cats were dropping be hind me. I peaced and kept running till all the cats finally quit chasing me.

I then waited til I could renew my mask scent and followed my path back collecting bone as I went and found a third baby....dead....

When I reached the lair there were cats everywhere. At least ten or more, and five of them were Grand Wrixs. As I was targeting each yellow dot a baby came up and so did my heart rate. I quickly walked to it and began the tame. and after two tries I got it.

I was so happy I saw no need to take out the lair and left the rest of the cats alone. The interesting thing was that later that day I was helping Xiriss train his Shadowfire toon, and as we passed over that same lair in our x34's, Xiriss spotted a fifth baby.

So I guess they're actually pretty common...But they're really big, and I don't have a really big cat....Well....I do now... :)
Mabon

Postby Mabon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:37 pm

I saw 2 or 3 babies a couple of weeks ago just NE of Cornet. Basically in the backyard of my house. I had just made novice the day before and was ready to go find my first tame. When I stepped outside there was a wrix and baby wrix just in front of the house. I believe I tamed the baby on the first try because I remember thinking that this wasn't so bad. (lol)
Afterwards me and 'Wrix' (I hadn't even started to consider names yet) went around the back of the house to clear it of pest. After a little while we stumbled into a lair of wrixes and grand wrixes. I stored my baby because I didn't know what could happen. I think there may have been more than one lair close together because there were alot of wrixes scattered about. I found a tamed another wrix. Then came upon two grand wrix babies, which obviously I couldn't tame at the time, though I tried several times anyway. I then sent a message over the planet chat with their location. I followed the babies around for several minutes but nobody replied. I finally walked off to hunt elsewhere.
I'm now up to CL25 and completed two days of hunting on Talus for greater sludge panthers. Finally, about two hours after the server reboot, I was able to tame two famished, (released one due to space), one normal sludge panther. And to finishe a wonderful expedition off, I tamed TWO GSP babies! Tonight I'm going back home and see if I can find me that baby grand wrix I had to walk off and leave before.
Lasti & Lasta Aoibhel
Master Swordswoman, Master Doctor
Master Creature Handler, Master Bounty Hunter
Member, Galactic CH Guild <Beast>
Zurlaboo

Postby Zurlaboo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:34 am

In my experience, wrix lairs and slice hound lairs are the worst for spurting out more critters that you expect.

Also, the behavior that you noted, where she ran back to the others for help before attacking you. I've seen that almost always done by the (scout) versions. Even if I'm a bazillion miles away from the lair, those tattle-tale scouts just gotta turn it into a party!
One tame at a time :)
Kriegan'shka

Postby Kriegan'shka » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:12 pm

Two GSP babies eh. Hmmmmm ! Guess I'm gonna have to go camp out on Talus til I get me one. Saw one in Cnet Starport from that CH that kept topping my critters, an he was big. I love big cats.

Yeah it was cool Zurlaboo. Watching him run directly away from me to the lair, then wheeling about and coming at a dead run back at me with all the others in tow. It was a very cool moment.

OH !!! an I got all my critter sounds back WooHoo !. .....BUT.....they traded them for my mind bar on my ham....Its completely gone..... :(
Mabon

Postby Mabon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:37 pm

Actually I now have 4 GSP's. Before I left Talus yesterday, I went out again to see if I could find another lair just to see if I could see patterns in locating them. I did discover another lair and tamed 2 more on the second spawn. Now that I have found 2 lairs, I'm going to stay away for awhile before trying again to see how fast I can locate them again.
A couple of things to note:
1) The jedi trials have a task to kill 20 of any SP's so there may have been changes made to compensate
2) Previous sightings were to the E and SE of Dearic. Both of my sightings are to the W / SW. The jedi forums with notes on how to locate these beauties for slaughter, have most of their waypoints to the NW of Dearic.
3) Since I have only done the 2 lairs I can't say for certain that this will be the same for all lairs. In both cases I found 1 or 2 mixed lairs of famished/regular SP's, then carefully searching outward from there I was able to find the GSP lair. ( Seems the lower cousins co-mingle in the same area with no actual 'lair', while the GSP's live alone next to a 'log' lair.)

Hope I haven't stepped over any line in being too detailed here. :shock:
Lasti & Lasta Aoibhel

Master Swordswoman, Master Doctor

Master Creature Handler, Master Bounty Hunter

Member, Galactic CH Guild <Beast>
Kriegan'shka

Postby Kriegan'shka » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:46 pm

Thank you for that info as I have no experience at all in lair searching other than just wandering around and hoping to get lucky. Hopefully your kindness in offering these tips will increase my chances in getting a GSP.

I was conce chased by a pair of full grown GSP's about 1800 meters out from dearic in the direction of the imperial outpost, while dropping some heavy flora harvestors. I later on masked scent and found them again, but just to walk up and pet them, not to kill them. I just might head that way today and see if i can get lucky. Thanx again

Return to “Creature Handler Discussions”