Attention: These forums serve as read only archive of the original and may not be modified. All user accounts and logins have been disabled. Attempting to register, login or view a users profile, which requires a login, will result in your request being blocked.

Questions about SWG

Frequent novic CH discussions
Gryl

Questions about SWG

Postby Gryl » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:26 am

Greetings all and thanks for the great CH site!

I just started playing SWG a couple weeks ago. Knowing nothing of the game I started a Wookie because I wanted a bowcaster. I also wanted pets. I had no idea what I was getting into.

I'm really enjoying the game though and my choice of Wookie/CH. For now I'm focusing on getting MCH (currrently 1-1-1-1), staying with the bowcaster/rifle and dabbling in a few other professions.

I have a few questions and not all are exactly CH questions so I hope this is an ok forum for them.

1. I've read in the manual and some online guides about stat migration. I think I even read that when you start your toon you have a chance to migrate your stats during the tutorial. I also think that you can migrate your stats later by using an image designer. When I did the tutorial I think I spaced out and missed that stat migration terminal, is that bad? Is stat migration a big part of the game? If so what do people commonly change?

2. Buffing in this game is the strangest thing I have ever seen. Everyone wants them, they cost an arm and a leg, only a couple classes have them, they are time consuming to get and they only last 3 hours plus fade if you go offline. Strange. Anywho, as I level in my skills I'm noticing that my HP and other stats aren't going up. How or do you get more HPs and stats or do you always have the same?

3. I've been doing missions on Corellia and Tatooine and seem to always get the same DL missions (11 - 13). When I go to Dantooine I always pull DL 32 missions. I'm at the point now where the DL 13 ones are too easy and the DL 32 ones are way too hard. Is there a place where I can pull solo missions greater than DL 13? Or is grouping up and pulling missions the only way to get higher DL missions? Or should I just go to a planet and hunt certain locations to find the right DL critters to fight?

4. Is there any particular order that CHs go up the CH skill tree?

5. Will there be more BE clothing (for wookies in particular) added with the JTL expansion?

6. All the guides I've seen online on various websites are very dated. Is there a site with more current guides and/or information?

Thanks for your time and again thanks for the great site,

Gryl
Naritus
Zurlaboo

Postby Zurlaboo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Gryl, and welcome :)

I never saw the stat migration during the tutorial, and I've taken 8 characters through the tutorial. I'm guessing that it was removed sometime after that information was printed. You do have a choice of profession which determines your stats. Brawler tends to have a larger health pool and artisans have higher mind, while entertainers have better action, etc. You aren't locked in to being that profession, as you can surrender it and train another in game. As far as I know, image designers are the only way to alter your existing stats.

You would change your health, action and mind pools (HAM) for various reasons. PvP'er need high mind pools so they can use nearly infinite special attacks and heal during encounters, plus it is usually the prime target during PvP since it isn't as readily healed. Dancers and musicians need high action pools since they level by doing 'flourishes' which deplete their action quickly. As a CH/bowcaster/rifleman, I would guess that you want your HAM to be pretty balanced. (Never played a rifleman, you might want a second opinion here)

Your HAM doesn't grow as you level up. You basically learn to use what you have, get stat migration to something better suited to your needs, or get buffed. Personally, I keep my health, action and mind at about 1000 with the remainder distributed fairly evenly through the secondary stats. It has served me well so far. (I'm a TK/CH master who doesn't PvP)

The mission levels are based on a few things. Basically, the terminals try to give you the most that they deem you can handle. Of course, that's not always the case. Some things that affect the level of the mission are the overall average level of your group. If you solo, you can group with your pet(s) and see if it makes a difference. Also, whether or not you have your weapon eqipped makes a difference. Unequip it if the missions are too high, equip your best weapon if the missions are too low. Sometimes you can find a 'solo group'. If you can get past the oxymoron, these offer a viable solution to getting higher level missions. In them, 20 people (or however many you can scrape up) form a group but go off and do their own solo thing. They pull down very high missions that way. The planet would have some effect on the level, but basically, there are beginner planets like Tatooine, Naboo, Corellia, Rori, and Talus. And there are secondary planets like Yavin, Dantooine, Lok, Endor and Dathomir. Missions on the former will be noticibly easier than those on the latter.

You can advance up the CH tree however you choose to. When I started, a CH friend suggested that I get 2222 before advancing higher. I didn't listen to him. I went for maximum number of pets in the datapad first, mods to viscious next, commands next and finally management. Everyone has their own opinion of what's more important, and as you progress, you'll find your own path.

I don't know about BE clothing for wooks in JTL, sorry. I'm trapped in a rodian body :P

Website guides in general? Yes, they are dated. Especially now that SWG is careening wildly through space with all of the changes happening so quickly. Trying to keep any info current is insanely difficult. I'd suggest focusing on the forums since usually the discussions are about current issues. You can ask questions (like you've done here) to divine information specific to your needs.

Did I miss anything? :P

Good luck to you Gryl. I can only hope that you enjoy CH as much as I have (and many others) We are a special breed in the SWG environment.
One tame at a time :)
Nytar

Postby Nytar » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:40 pm

Zurl is right :P

Very minor addition to Zurl's comments.
3. You can also group your droids as well as your pets to increase mission levels. That helped me pull some of tougher missions when I was not master yet.
[color=#33CCFF:b375b202e1] Nyter:Genetics[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CCCC:b375b202e1] Tempest[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CC99:b375b202e1] Naboo, Edoras[/color:b375b202e1]
[color=#33CC66:b375b202e1] 6228 -4316[/color:b375b202e1]
Xanth

Postby Xanth » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:25 pm

Once you've created the character, only an ID can migrate your stats. You can adjust them instantly yourself if you do it before you launch to your first planet during the character creation. If you uncheck \"use new player tutorial\" you'll start off in a small room with a travel terminal...just do the stat migrate there.
Gryl

Postby Gryl » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:22 am

Thanks for the replies!

Last night I was able to group with a pet and get tougher missions. Prior to last night all my pets were too low and actually brought down the mission difficulty.

Speaking of pets I did a tour of vendors on Corellia and was amazed at the variety of BE pets. The variety being in HAM, damage, specials attacks and armor. I found a vendor with the best pets I have seen only charging 5k per and other vendors with junk pets charging 50k. I ended up buying a few of the 5k ones, now just gotta wait for them to grow up!

On the BE pets that have special attacks, do they perform them automatically or do I have to gain the CH skills with special attacks before they use them?

With my highest level pet, a DL 20 Cu Pa, I tried a DL 32 mission on Dantooine last night and was able to kill a few Bol types. Was a good confidence boost but too high of a cost b/c of stims and takes a long time for me to bring them down. Once my new batch of BE pets grows up I'll try it again.

Aside from running missions I'm finding that I have fun just picking a place to run too and setting off into the wild with a pet. Like running from Theed to some random shuttleport. I kill and tame on the way. Probably not the fastest way but it's fun to explore and gives me a chance to learn without much pressure. Very good training for taming babies with aggressive parents for sure.

I also found a good guide on armor that also included a discussion on stat migration. It is on the following page under the \"How to wear and use composite armor\".

[url]http://www.swg-cis.vze.com/[/url]

I'm not sure if I'm going to do stat migration or not. For the most part while soloing I'm wearing taming cloths and pet is tanking and if I group I'll probably have buffs. So at this time I think my stats are ok as they are.

Gryl
Yvesof

Postby Yvesof » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:07 pm

Check out http://swg.warcry.com/ for good guides and a good community.
Yvesof Tabec
Master Bio-Engineer/Carbineer/CH
Resident of Minerva, Naboo
Valcyn Server
Lantyssa
Field Biologist
Field Biologist

Postby Lantyssa » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:24 pm

Stat Migration - To migrate stats in the tutorial, you open up the window and set you stats. (I don't know the proper keys as I remapped mine.) There is no terminal for it, you just set them as you would for an ID, only it makes an instant change.

Buffs - Yeah, it is kind of silly. Learn to play without them and not only will you be a better player, you won't be affected when the Combat Rebalance occurs. (I am guessing buffs and armor are going to be hit pretty hard.)

Mission CL - Some planets have a minimum level.

Skill Order - I like filling up all lower tier boxes before moving on as the xp is easier to get for similar benefits initially. Training is nice because it lets you hold more pets. I usually leave Taming for last. Once you have 2222 you can go up a line if you prefer.

Clothing - Unknown, but probably not.
Kagato

Postby Kagato » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:50 am

you've gotten quite a few responses so i won't be adding much :P but i figured i'd add in my two cents.

As for as stat migration goes, i personally am zabrak and decided to migrate all my mind pools to the max and distribute the rest as even as i could but not too much into health and action. Reason i did this is because it's pretty easy to get buffs nowadays but getting a muscian buff (focus&willpower) or dancer buff (mind) can be a challenge...just finding people in the cantina that aren't afk :P besides that it takes 10 mins, sometimes a little less to get a 2hour buff from either of them. But if you aren't going to be getting buffed much then i would suggest migrating so you have a good amount of your main HAM bars and secondarys to regen those HAM bars faster.
BE pets are nice cause you can get a specific desired resist/armor made on almost any creature body. The specials are kinda broke though as disease/poison and a few others will not work on command. Every other state attack (stun, intimidate, blind...etc) will work on command.

All in all i love being a CH and i think you'll like it too, much like everyone else on these boards :P You will not be a PVP god or anything close to it, but taming pets and watching them grow up is alot of fun for me :lol:
[img:6fc7144ae6]http://www.mythicalhorde.com/images/kagato2c.jpg[/img:6fc7144ae6]

Return to “CH Newbie Help Zone”